In 1894 a meeting was conducted by the Butler Presbytery of the United
Presbyterian Church of North America. It was decided a United Presbyterian Church in Zelienople was needed. Above is the church in 1908.
Under the faithful and efficient work of many the church was organized in April – 1895.The first meeting place of the congregation was a vacant storeroom on Main Street, Zelienople. Services were conducted in February 1896.
The services were next held in the Zelienople Reformed Church on Sunday afternoons.
It was decided to construct a church on the near corner of Grandview Avenue and Main Street.
The church was completed in 1897.
The first minister of the church was Reverend Dight. He divided his time between our church and the Mt. Pleasant U.P. Church.
Early in January 1910 the interior of the sanctuary was severely damaged by fire. Church services were conducted in the basement of the church while the damage was repaired. In less than six months all signs of the fire had been eradicated and services resumed in the sanctuary.
The church grew and prospered until the Great Depression. Times were difficult for everyone. The church was able to survive during this difficult period by the Grace of God and the faithful parishioners and ministers who kept the church operational during this time of economic hardship.
After World War II the church membership increased and activities that had been curtailed due to the financial problems of the “Depression” were renewed.
In the early 1950’s a major renovation of the sanctuary occurred. The floor plan was changed and the addition of a Pastor’s Study and a balcony were added.
On May 28, 1958 the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America and the United Presbyterian Church of North America were joined together by a Declaration of Union. The new church was called The United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America.
The Zelienople United Presbyterian Church of North America changed its name to the Park United Presbyterian Church of Zelienople, Pennsylvania on April 5, 1959.
Park Hall was constructed near the sanctuary in 1970. This building serves as a Sunday School and social building for Park United Presbyterian Church.
Park House is the home of our minister and his family. A stately three story home is located only a few steps from the sanctuary.
Our cozy church has served our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the Zelienople and Harmony area for over 130 years.